Copyright 2007-2012
Built with Indexhibit

Creative Commons License
This work by Caroline McQuarrie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Gold was discovered in the Waimea creek in Nov 1864, where twin towns Goldsborough and Stafford were soon established and grew to substantial size. There was enough gold in the Waimea valley to sustain these and smaller satellite towns for a number of years, however by the early 20th century numbers had dwindled considerably. Stafford remains with a handful of houses and a historic cemetery.

 
http://www.thenotownproject.org/files/gimgs/th-17_StaffordCemetery 002.jpg
Stafford cemetery, December 2011
 
http://www.thenotownproject.org/files/gimgs/th-17_G3_04_StaffordCemetery 009 SM.jpg
Metal child-size coffin, Stafford cemetery, December 2011
 
http://www.thenotownproject.org/files/gimgs/th-17_StaffordCemetery 005.jpg
Stafford cemetery, December 2011